Caregiving can be a tough job and it’s okay to take a break. Today on the blog we’re celebrating National Home Caregiver Month with a look at the various respite programs in Washtenaw County. What’s respite? Respite programs allow for your loved one to be looked after in a safe space while you take time to go shopping, take care of other responsibilities, or just breathe and have a couple hours to yourself. Respite programs make sure your loved one is safe and attended to while you take a break.
Volunteer Caregiver Respite (CSSW)
- Trained volunteers provide in-home companionship visits for homebound Washtenaw County older adults.
- Location: In-home
- Time frame: 2-4 hours per week.
- Cost: No cost, but donations are welcome to support the program.
- Contact: Call (734) 971-9781 ext. 511 or email [email protected]
- A free program provided through a partnership with Silver Club, Catholic Social Services of Washtenaw County, Jewish Family Services of Washtenaw County, and Exhale, the Family Caregiver Initiative.
- This program is open to those who care for an adult age 60+, and includes caregiver social outings, educational programs, respite care, transportation, and home chore services.
- Location: See website for details
- Cost: No cost
- Contact: Call (734) 998- 9352 or email [email protected]
Caregiver Assessment, Respite, Education & Support (CARES) (Jewish Family Services)
- Offers a variety of services for caregivers, including respite, education, resource navigation, low-cost transportation, counseling, and more.
- Time Frame: Up to 36 hours of respite during a 90-day period
- Cost: No Cost
- Contact: Call (734) 436-4231
- The Michigan chapter of the Alzheimer’s Association offers scholarships to assist with adult day programs, in-home care, and overnight care.
- Contact: Call the 24/7 helpline at (800) 272-3900 or email [email protected].
Senior Living Facilities
Brecon Village (EHM Saline)
- Location: Saline
- Time frame: Up to 2 weeks
- Cost: $440/day
- EHMSS allows respite in all of their living communities- including memory care!
- Location: Ann Arbor
- Time frame: Call for current rates
- Cost: $350/day
- Location: Chelsea
- Time frame: 1 week minimum for short-term stay
- Cost: $240-$300/day